Monday, May 13, 2013

Drooling Over the Hunk, Aldo Ray!




It  was 1955.  I was 13 years old.  We lived in Greensburg Pennsylvania, My father had just been transferred to Charleston, West Virginia.  We hadn't moved there yet so my father was taking a trip to Charleston to scope out his new office and employees.  He asked me if I wanted to go along. I was so excited and thrilled to go with my dad, who was my hero.  Imagine getting to take a week off from school and hang out with my dad when he wasn't working in his new office.  It just so happened that the movie "Battle Cry"was playing at the cinema while we were there.  In those days parents were more open and trusting of the world and my dad trusted me. I went to see the movie everyday while he was working and then walked back to his office.  I really hadn't thought about this, what I would call  now a coming of age event in my life. The movie happened to be on TCM just a few days ago and all the wonderful memories came flooding back.

The movie starred:  Aldo Ray, Mona Freeman, Van Heflin, James Whitmore, and Tab Hunter. It was adapted from the book of the same name written by Leon Uris.  He also wrote the screenplay. It took place during WWII and was about a crew of Marines who basically did clean up work in places such as Guadalcanal, Tarawa, and oher bloody battlefields. After fighting for his men, who have been well trained, disciplined, and ready for battle, "Highpockets" (Van Heflan) and his commanding general fianally agreed that his battalion would lead the final battle into Saipan.

In the meantime, the soldiers were sent New Zealand  a safe zone or place for respite where the troops would  regroup and prepare for battle.  This is where my favorite part  comes in. I was enchanted to watch over and over again the scenes where Andy (Aldo Ray)  met and fell in love with a beautiful New Zealand girl whose family owned a vast and lush sheep farm. I am not ashamed to say that I watched and waited with bated breath just to see Andy grab Pat Robert's ass (Nancy Olson)  Talk about innocent and naive. It sure did thrill me and sent my raging 13 year old hormones into orbit!  Andy fell so deeply in love that he wanted to desert. Fortunately she talked him out of deserting.

The trip with my dad was great! Even though he knew I was going to see "Battle Cry"  everyday. It did not occur to him that I was becoming aware of my sexuality.  Neither did It occur to me. When we got home from our trip,  I immediately borrowed a copy of the book from the library.  The book was better than the movie.  Isn't that to be expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment